detachment

I haven't posted here for a while. My journey has been interesting and I feel a whole new dimension within me recently. My attachment to material things has decreased. This hasn't happened all at once, but has been a process of several years. I am now aiming to find a way to live in a house with three young children with books and toys and papers and pencils and general 'stuff' strewed about. My inner self has wanted to purge it all, but I recognise that my children need some of this for their own development.

In order to live in harmony in this situation, I have found it helpful to remain detached from the 'stuff'. In this way, it does not bother me. We do keep any stray bits 'n pieces fairly tidy and the kids are free to get their rooms as messy as they want. I have also cut back on the amount of my own clutter.

I used to surround myself with posters, signs I'd made, stickers, badges, many things that had positive messages on them. Perhaps after the constant exposure, I've finally absorbed most of those messages. Or perhaps I've reached a place where I'm living my own truth. Either way, I no longer feel the need for many different affirmations, positive signs, etc around me. Perhaps without all of that clutter, my soul has more space and freedom to just Be.

I've had the same wallet for 20 years. My mother was with me when I bought it and thought I was nuts spending $80 on a wallet. But here, 20 years later, after using it continually, it's still going strong. A little stitching is coming undone in an area that my youngest son used to chew on when he was teething. My mother has had at least 5 different wallets in that time.
Using that wallet, I've gotten used to all of the stuff in it. But do I need all of that? Recently, I've started going out with a little cloth purse with just my drivers licence and a little cash in it. No extra stuff. Do I really need to take the video rental cards every time I go out? No. Library cards can be taken only if we're going to the library. I don't need to take my whole little card filing space every single time I go out.
It actually felt a little uncomfortable the first couple of times I did this, but now I'm enjoying the freedom.

Same thing with my handbag. My youngest has been out of diapers/nappies for almost 2 years so I can't justify having a big bag with me for all of those extra kid things anymore. I've been using a simple cloth shoulder bag with just the basics in it. Got to tell you, it's much lighter! Physically and mentally and spiritually.

What I've learned is that detachment from material things, brings us closer to being able to live and express our true essence. I feel a much deeper sense of peace and therefore, I see joy in simple and wonder-full things which expands my love towards all.

It's all good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quote by Ramona L Anderson

labels

Release